Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Visual Advocacy: Senior degree project ideas

Thoughts on my Senior Degree Project


This senior degree project is something that I have on the back burner since I arrived at KCAI 3 years ago. Over the past semesters I have had a few ideas I jotted down in as what I thought could be interesting directions for when the time came. However after this half of a semester in Visual Advocacy all of the readings and discussions we have had most of my stored ideas were seeming flat and uninspiring for my final college piece.

So I began the frantic scrambling for a "million dollar" idea. Which I soon found out is not the way to go about determining a direction. True to form, my first natural instinct was to think what issues in my life graphic design could aid in, change, or improve. One of the next grown up steps may college students take after getting a job is buying a house. Which lead me to wonder how I could use design to help first time home buyers understand they process and what they are getting into when making this huge investment. I could foresee this being a 3 step process of searching for a home that meets your requirements, understanding the purchasing and financial end of your investment, and finally things you need to do after the close of the sale. This is a very scare time for adults and graphic design could help facilitate the whole activity.

Then I remembered how much we have been doing in Rosedale and how design can make such a difference in peoples lives. So I wanted to think of some of the causes or problems I would be happy to be a part of. The first of which being the helping to gain awareness of cervical cancer. One in eight females, teenage girls, are diagnosed with cervical cancer. I was one of those girls so I understand how scary it feels and how foreign all the information the doctors are giving you sounds. I would want to research current standings on causes, treatments, and cures.

Another issue has gained alot of momentum lately is bullying. There is more to bullying than not getting pick for the dodgeball team at recess but there is bulling in the work place and especially on the internet. Cyber bullying is huge. I was also bullied as a teen and had to switch colleges as a result. It ended up for the better but I felt very alone and empty. This could maybe help give these people a voice and not be hurting alone.

There are 2 other social issues that I fell very passionately about which is teenage pregnancy and domestic violence. While this two things are not related they are two things that are very promonate in todays media. Teens and youth are watching shows like teen mom and 16 and pregnant where girls are getting fame and attention for doing something that is far from glamorous or healthy. The same can also be said for domestic violence. Teens are watching there favorite singers and rappers beating the shit out of each other then making songs about it to make them money. This is a huge HUGE problem with generation y. But in looking for the problem behind the problem I wonder how medias influence on social behavior. And how can graphic design help to reverse the negative messages brought to teens through the media.

All of these issues and thought are totally in brainstorming mode. I am trying not to think about solutions at this point only problems. I also really want to design a piece I can be proud of and will really sum up to future employers not only the type of designer I am but some issues and morals I think are important.



What are your thoughts!

No comments: