Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The beginning of summer at VML



So I am one week into my summer internship at VML. I am in the creative department as an AD (art director) intern. Currently I am at the main office at the Downtown Airport and it is like an icebox. However it is really awesome to watch the private planes fly in and out by my window. I have my own cubical with a nice desktop mac hooked up to a laptop as well!!!!! VML is growing so much and expanding that I started my intern in the middle of a big move so in a few week I will be making the transition with my team to the offices at 2020 in the crossroads. There are 15 other inters that started the same time as me in various different departments. Most of these kids are from kansas, oklahoma, and Iowa. So I have been getting to know them and helping to show them around Kansas City. So far life in the working world is a COMPLETELY different from school and it has taken a while to get out of that mind set. But I have been asking a million question and writing everything down. I have already got to be apart of the team working on a huge national campaign for one of the leading yogurt company, but I cant say which one, for the 2011 year. They have really been treating me as a part of the team and not the stupid intern that doesn't know anything. So far I have working on the yogurt campaign creative team, created some web banners for facebook, and even re branded a benifits website for a fortune 500 company. I truly cant believe the stuff I am getting to do and most of it all on my own. One of the biggest differences from school is that I am a part of a team and am only responsible for the creative/ design aspect of it. I have someone else who actually makes the websites functionable, no matter what i design them to do, I have someone who checks my spelling...thank god, and even someone who writes everything that goes on the page. I am in hog heaven. Dont get me wrong I have had some scary moments to where I wasnt sure if I could get a design how they wanted it or if I knew what I was doing. But all in all it has been amazing. Also all the inters have to come up with some sort way to introduce ourselves to the company at the next Tuesday morning meeting. So we came up with an interactive webpage were employees can go to and see a picture of us with a little bio we have added in and even a little funny video q&a section. I took the reigns on this project and made a website just like our collection sites were all of the images of the people are buttons. I also illustrated silhouettes of each intern that when you roll over it turns into their actual picture. I have included pictures of my progress so far and will post more as I get it done!



No comments: