Thursday, March 4, 2010

Type 4: Final thoughts

When I first began this project I made the initial decision to work with a known everyday product that had many different elements on the package, but can also be misrepresented for how good for you it really is. I started this project off rather slowly being I was a little over helmed with all of the different elements that live on the dole juice box. I began to play with placement of all of the different elements. What are the things people expect to be on the front, like the juice name. And if you mix up this placement does it cause the viewer to look harder for the information or do they not understand it at all. This question of placement then was a gateway into dealing with the hierarchy of the elements mixed with the selected arrangements. One of my questions was How does a shift in hierarchy change the viewers opinion of a product.Through hierarchy I was able to choose what I found to be important on the box and what I wanted the viewer to take notice to. While most juice boxes call out the name and the flavor and brand. I wanted to choice things that usually tend to be more secondary, like the nutrition facts or ingredients. Because I think that it is important to know how healthy this so called "juice" is for you. I also found that how you word things can have an effect on how the consumer perceives A product. Is it a juice or a beverage or a concentrate or a drink. All of these words can inform the viewer if they are called out or emphasized.


After this I realized I was trying to focus to much on the juice box as a whole instead of exploring all of its parts separately and narrowing down my focus. One day after our critiques I I took one of the suggestions from a post it note and studied all the ways that I would represent a strawberry through texture, shape, imagery, and color. This gave me many more unique possibilities that I could use to alter the experience the viewer had with this juice container. After doing many experiments I found that one of the most interesting things to me was when a single message or element lived over multiple panels or packages. This was interesting to me because I facilitated in viewer interaction. They needed to turn the container all the way around hoping to understand its meaning then if they still cant get it they need to align it up with 3 other packages. This could be helpful for producers because people may buy more to collect the image or at least they are going to take notice of this product hoping to understand its logic. How can I make the common person aware of how typography can effect a product.The hierarchy in the numbers and letters also grabs the viewers eye in wondering why a huge 1 presides in the dole juice box. most grocery store juice containers all look the same they are all brightly colored and full of fruit and small type. These would be different. One of the element that I have spent some time looking into was one of my original questions "

How does typographical reveals giving added meaning to a package.


With these reveals I wanted them to give attention to the elements most viewer over look that could drastically change their opinion of the juice. I designed pull back tabs to get the viewer to interact with the box and to have to pull the tab back to see the information they didn't already know. This has almost an element of surprise which most viewers tend to like. I tried out making one with the reveals being added clarifying information about how good the juice is and the other one what full of all of the negative stuff they would rather you not see.


All in all this was a good experiment even though I was kind of a late bloomer. All of these elements will be things I will keep in mind from here one out in my design future. I need to let go a little bit and have some fun. If I start to get overwhelmed i need to start with something I am comfortable with and go on from there.


No comments: