Monday, January 24, 2011

Pro Practice: Career Goals Round 1

With this being my last semester of design school I figured it was a good time to start making goals for the REST OF MY LIFE. Well thats a little intimidating so I will start smaller.

Year 1 (outside of KCAI)
I would like to be getting my feet wet at a traditional design firm. Now this may be VML due to the time I have already spent interning there I will assume a job could follow, or at another comparable firm. This will be the time in which I embrace the working world. Learn how to not only design on a professional level but also learn how to be an adult and paying bills, have health insurance, and no snow days. My main goals for this first job is one with GOOD BENEFITS, GROWING COMPANY, POTENTIAL FOR PROMOTION, and COMPARABLE SALERY.

Year 3 (outside of KCAI)
After 3 years I will hope I have started to understand more about digital advertising and how a large firm functions. I hope to have developed my design skills and have built up some confidence in my abilities. With this toned knowledge I would like to begin to look into what type of design makes me happy. I would also love to relocate some place warm like Texas. This will be a fresh start for me to step back and ask myself what I want to do. While I am looking for a design job I will do some freelance for connections I have made through VML, my friends and family. These freelance jobs could be business cards to fliers, baby announcements, I just want to have fun with it. I will be looking for a multi-disilplinary studio that is very family orientated. I would like the studio I work for to be more of a boutique studio, not so corporate.

Year 5 ( outside of KCAI)

I would like to start a family and be a stay at home designer. This will either have to mean I work for an amazing company that will allow me to be a designer from home or maybe I could just do some contracting for a designer when they are busy. Design is something that you can do from anywhere in the world. This would be a time that I would like to start design websites for small clients. These projects are a little more intense but I like the critical thinking aspect of it and you can make more of a profit off of them. Work will probably not be my number one priority at this moment, my family will be. This is one of the things I love about design it can be as flexible as you need it to be.

to be continued.....


No comments: