Monday, March 23, 2009

Vis Com: Final Color Icons











We have come to the end of our exploration of color in our icons. Through these last few weeks i have examined my original wedding book and pulled a wide color palette that I thought fit the fun, playful, airy, yet classy wedding icons. I tried to stick with light colors to denote the happy feeling of the wedding.  However I needed to maintain a sense of formality that is balanced with the seriousness of getting married. I feel that i accomplished this by selecting a dark plum, a rosy pink and a tan. The tan helps to keep the icons more serious in nature and give it a soft adult feel. This is counter balanced with the fun hop of the rosy pink. This pink i feel was an appropriate choice giving the playfulness that the icons posses through their appartent tilt and implied action. The pink also adds the airy connotation by being a light up lifting playful color. Since the tan and the pink are both a lighter color i then needed to select a dark color to complement the other two. I choice a dark plum to give a sense of regalness and sophistication to the playful icons. I feel that the two color icon system is strong with the elegant tan and the sophisticated beautiful plum. There is a nice contrast between the dark and light colors at not only the large scale but the small scale as well. However I personly like the three color set the best. All three of the colors are different enough to be noticeable and worth the money it would cost for the third color. I feel this is important because if a client asks for 3 colors i think it is important to give them what they want not 3 colors that look like 2 because then what would be the point.
My choice of where to add the color to was meant to follow the airy movement feel as well.  By offsetting the background shape the tilt of the icon is emphasized even more. I feel this was a smart decision to keep my icons from feeling stiff and coloring booky. These background shapes were drawn and placed according to the nature of the original icon. 
I have really enjoyed working on these icons and making meticulously planned decisions about every element associated with them. I feel that was a set they are all reading well and have a balanced feel to them. I have made a few corrections to the groom making him feel cohesive with the other lighter and more flowy icons. I did this by filling part of the white of his shirt with the tan background color. This helped to excentuate the tan color against all of the dark plum which was being lost before. 

No comments: